There is no doubt that the health and well-being of your eyes is important and serious. However, every now and then it is nice to enjoy the lighter side of eye health. The following list will enlighten you with some fun and interesting facts about your vision you have likely never heard! So sit back, relax and enjoy learning something new!
Largest Eye on Earth
A giant squid is the creature that is awarded as having the largest eye on the entire planet. The actual diameter of the giant squids eyeballs measures in at a whole 18 inches. To put this into perspective, that is roughly the size of your average beach ball.
The Compound Eye of the Ant
An ant only has two eyes. However, each of these eyes is divided into several smaller eyes. This is extremely irregular in insects, however quite fascinating when you consider the actual size of the ant. The ant’s eye style is referred to as a compound eye.
Our Ocu-Plus Formula Contains All 17 of the Vitamins, Minerals, and Herbal Supplements to Improve Your Eye Health!
Parts of the Human Eye
The human eye is actually composed of over two million smaller parts. They are all combined to allow you to have proper vision. If one of these parts is not functioning properly, you may experience a problem with your eyesight, which is why it is important to exercise your eyes regularly to strengthen and relax them just as you would exercise any other part of your body.
The majority of serious eye injuries are caused by baseball. This is closely followed by basketball and water sports. Overall there are more than 40,000 eye injuries in sports each year.
The Myth of the Golden Earrings
If you walked into your eye doctor’s office and they told you to wear a golden earring to correct your vision, chances are you would walk away quickly. However, past sailors believed that by wearing a golden earring they could improve their vision.
Fun Facts About the Human Eye
- An adult’s eye is only slightly smaller than the size of a ping-pong ball.
- The eye begins its development only two weeks after conception.
- Other than the brain, the human eye is considered the most complex organ in the entire body.
- Diabetes is the number one cause of blindness in the United States.
- It is estimated that in just 20 years the number of blind individuals will more than double.
- Each eye has a blind spot. This occurs where the optic nerve of the eye leaves the eye. Due to the design of the eye, these blind spots will never match up and therefore there is never a noticeable blind spot in the binocular vision.
- It only takes a period of 48 hours for your eye to repair damage such as a corneal scratch.
- More than 80 percent of vision problems around the world are preventable, treatable or curable.
Your vision allows you to see the world around you. This means that you should take care to ensure that you protect your eyes and vision so that you do not have issues as you age.