As you age, your eyes will begin to deteriorate, causing your vision to become impaired. However, when you implement an array of vitamin supplements for the eyes, they can help to slow the deterioration process and restore good health.
Many of the vitamins that promote eye health also have antioxidants that will work to improve eyesight, and that have been proven to slow the effects of macular degeneration. Macular degeneration occurs when the macular area of the eye’s retina begins to wear out.
There are many vitamins that can improve eye health, including the effects caused by the degenerative disorder.
The Effect of Smoking on Your Eyes
The following information outlines the vitamins that are most beneficial to the eyes and how they can actually improve your overall eye health, reducing the effects of common eye disorders including the effects of smoking.
Smoking can be extremely bad for your eye health. Not only is smoking bad for your overall health, it also increases the risk that you have for the development of many different eye diseases and disorders, which include:
- Irritation: When you smoke regularly, it can cause chronic redness of the eyes. In fact, it can tear the film over the eyes, cause dry eye syndrome and irritate allergies of the eyes.
- Macular degeneration: When you smoke you will have a four times higher chance of developing the eye condition known as age-related macular degeneration. Even if you have smoked in the past and quit, your chances of developing this are still increased.
- Cataracts: Smoking will increase the chance of the development of cataracts, which is the clouding of the eyes lenses. This is because when you smoke it reduces the amount of antioxidants that are in your eyes.
- Optic Neuropathy: When you smoke, it decreases the blood that flows throughout your entire body. This can cause damage to the eyes optic nerve.
- Thyroid Eye Disease: Those who suffer from thyroid disease and smoke may develop Graves’ disease, which will swell the tissue around the eyes. This can cause bulging or protrusion of the eyes from the sockets.
- Vascular Disease: When you smoke it will also aid the development of a condition known as arteriosclerosis, which is hardening of the arteries. If this develops, your chances of vascular disease of your eyes are also increased. Untreated it could lead to blindness.
Restoring Poor Vision Caused by Smoking
Due to the array of diseases that can be caused by smoking, there are many different vitamins that may help restore the problems that you are facing.
When you take the proper types of eye vitamins they can help you keep your eyes at optimum health for longer periods of time. Additionally, having a vitamin regimen prior to problems occurring can also prevent many eye diseases or reduce the chances of them developing.
There are many vitamins that are obtained through the foods that you eat, however it is often impossible to get the amount you need for optimum eye health. This is where vitamins that promote eye health come into play.
There are specific vitamin combinations that have been specifically developed to promote eye health.
When you are searching for a brand you should compare the mineral and vitamin composition. If a vitamin is created for the eye, it should definitely contain the following ingredients:
- Vitamin A: This vitamin plays a crucial role in vision health. It helps the eye surface and reduces the chance of developing eye infections.
- Vitamin C: This is a water soluble vitamin that is also a strong antioxidant. This vitamin helps to maintain your body’s connective tissue, which includes the collagen that is found around your eye’s corneas.
- Vitamin E: This has been proven to fight cataracts in several studies that have been performed.
- Zinc: This helps the body absorb certain vitamins such as vitamin A and will help the antioxidant enzymes to reduce the free radicals in your body. Additionally, zinc has been shown to fight night blindness and macular degeneration.
- Vitamin B2: This is also called riboflavin and is a water soluble vitamin. This vitamin is important for the overall health of your eyes and aids normal vision. Additionally, taking this vitamin regularly may help to reduce the chance of developing cataracts.
- Selenium: People who suffer from macular degeneration often have low levels of selenium. While this is a trace element, it is still vital for proper eye health.
There are both over the counter and prescribed vitamins for eye health that you doctor will prescribe for smokers. If you continue to smoke, it is essential that you protect your eye health with the vitamins listed here. They each play an important role in ensuring your eye health.
Recent vitamins that have been produced for the eye health of smokers also contain Lutein. This is an antioxidant that is typically concentrated in the lens, macula and retina portion of the eye. When you have an efficient amount of this present in your eyes, they will be able to stay healthier, even when you smoke regularly.
While there are certain vitamins that can aid the eye health of smokers, there is also some that can be dangerous and do more harm than good. Recent studies have shown that smokers who take beta-carotene supplements are at higher risk for certain diseases. It is suggested that you seek vitamins for your eyes that exclude this ingredient in order to reduce the risk that is present.
Smoking has been proven to increase the chances of various eye diseases and increases the chances of developing serious conditions such as macular degeneration. If no actions are taken to reduce the effects of smoking, it can lead to serious vision problems, with the chance of becoming blind.
Understanding the risks are as important as knowing what treatments are effective. It is important to take care of your eyes, especially if you are a smoker.
5 Easy Ways to Improve Your Eye Health Now
Signup Now to Receive My Free Email Series on Improving and Preserving Your Eye Health Naturally.